Skip the main banner if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Page Banner

Call our FREE confidential helpline 0808 8004050

Skip the primary navigation if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Primary Navigation

The following page sections include static unchanging site components such as the page banner, useful links and copyright information. Return to the top of page if you want to start again.

Page Extras

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public forums » Living with arthritis forum

Post subject: Re: Pain after TKR; when does it go away?
 Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 12:55 

Oh a year or forever, then perhaps the consultant was fobbing me off a bit then. :roll:

Could do with a hydrotherapy session right now.
The one I used to go to at a fairly local hospital was so old it finally gave up the ghost and a private one I went to closed down. :(

Glad to hear you feel it has all been worth while Helen. Big decision to go for a bilateral I would say. But had I been given the opportunity then it would all be over now and I wouldnt be wondering how long is the other knee going to play up before the time comes for more surgery. :(

Kath x

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 16:24 

Hi
I click when I exercise which is weird but I am getting used to it now I’m 4 months in, been to see consultant again today he’s pleased with me and doesn’t want to see me again for 6 months

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 16:40 

Quote:
Glad to hear you feel it has all been worth while Helen. Big decision to go for a bilateral I would say.

Not really a big decision. My knees hurt so much that I could hardly walk, and I wondered how much longer I could go on before ending up in a wheelchair. No decision at all really; I had little choice. I was just so relieved when the consultant said he could do both of them together.

My consultant doesn't want to see me at all as far as I know! Do most people get regular follow-up appointments?

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 18:47 

Think its usually a 6 week post op appointment, mine was 7 weeks but maybe all health authorites arent the same.
So you havent been to the ortho clinic after your ops then?

Kathx

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 19:18 

Oh yes, I had an appointment with the consultant 8 weeks after my op. He said he was very happy and didn't need to see me again. I was referring to loovechocolate's post talking about more appointments after a few months; I never heard about any of those. Sorry for the confusion.

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 20:11 

Helenbothknees wrote:
Oh yes, I had an appointment with the consultant 8 weeks after my op. He said he was very happy and didn't need to see me again. I was referring to loovechocolate's post talking about more appointments after a few months; I never heard about any of those. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't know I saw him at 7 weeks 13 weeks and today he said he wants to do xrays on both knees and will see me in 6 months I had xrays before discharge, I just thought this was normal I did see the other lady who was in same time as me, is it because I had my op privately? I don't know, sorry. I must say I do feel happier today he has asured me I'm doing all the right things re exercise/rest etc

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 09:03 

Ah, if you had it done privately that's probably why you get more aftercare. Our NHS is wonderful, and but for them I wouldn't have two nice new knees, but they do keep the costs down - and this is possibly one of the ways. I'm not bothered, things seem to be going well, and I was told that if I had any worries I could make an appointment to see my consultant any time in the next six months, or after that through my GP.

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 09:58 

Hello everyone,I am glad you are tootling along in varying degrees I havent posted for a week cos I really have felt grotty ,Keep running out bless of co/codomol . apathetic dont want tio exercise scared of the R/A as I have been haveing some bad general pain ,mannaging on nurofen and gaberpentine ,its the nights I just cannot get comfortable once my knees are hot thats it terrible feeling o/h is fed up with me leg in ,leg out bunch the pillows chuck on floor ,dose of early hours awake at 5/am ,in the day I feel tired and sickly ,back on the lueflemide for R/a should go for monitering of b/p but just cannot get motivated ,So you see we are all different good weeks bad weeks ,and As DD always says it will pass as is the way , anyway I know one thing we have all done really well ,and the support on here with you lot has really helped so thanks everyone and please keep updating .......oh on happy note Last Sunday was lovely spent the day at Tissington model village and mannaged an hour on the Tissington trail ,also little boy on the car park was asking his Daddy was there on Argos bless him take care everyone ,Marrianne

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 10:19 

Wondered how you were doing Marianne, sorry you havent been feeling so well.

Helen, When I saw the consultant last week, he told me he would see me in 12 months time for xray. Then hopefully that will be it............ except that I might be told my other knee is due for replacement,
I will have to think seriously about it.

Kath x

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 10:25 

Marrianne , that's a shame you have been feeling manky :cry: , its a long old road we're on and I think we forget how many good days we have because the bad ones seem to take over ! , I think we are all coping well and I'm sure you will get the pain\tiredness under control and start feeling brighter very soon :) xx

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 16:13 

Marrianne, so sorry you're not feeling good. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tissington is round the corner from me, almost. Are we neighbours, or did you have a long-distance day out? Anyway, next time you're coming to this neck of the woods, send me a message and maybe we can meet up for coffee. If you'd like to, that is; if not, no matter.

You hang in there anyway, and things will get better!

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 16:19 

marrianne wrote:
Hello everyone,I am glad you are tootling along in varying degrees I havent posted for a week cos I really have felt grotty ,Keep running out bless of co/codomol . apathetic dont want tio exercise scared of the R/A as I have been haveing some bad general pain ,mannaging on nurofen and gaberpentine ,its the nights I just cannot get comfortable once my knees are hot thats it terrible feeling o/h is fed up with me leg in ,leg out bunch the pillows chuck on floor ,dose of early hours awake at 5/am ,in the day I feel tired and sickly ,back on the lueflemide for R/a should go for monitering of b/p but just cannot get motivated ,So you see we are all different good weeks bad weeks ,and As DD always says it will pass as is the way , anyway I know one thing we have all done really well ,and the support on here with you lot has really helped so thanks everyone and please keep updating .......oh on happy note Last Sunday was lovely spent the day at Tissington model village and mannaged an hour on the Tissington trail ,also little boy on the car park was asking his Daddy was there on Argos bless him take care everyone ,Marrianne

When do you see your rheumatologist, Marrianne? It fairly common for RA to flare post op. I needed two steroid jabs to get mine back in line after my knee revision. Please don't just leave it and worry. Ring the rheumatology helpline and keep doing the exercises but very gently and carefully. It will pass - but it might need a nudge :wink:

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 17:01 

I'm with Sticky on this, Marianne. You're not a straightforward OA-er who can expect to reach for the skies more likely than not get there. The RA will flare regardless (it's a beggur that way) but it may be less likely to do so if you're back on the lef. I know all too well the apathy and general fannying around with covers, pillows, bath towels, meds, flaring, waking, dozing and the heavy sighs from the other side of the bed. Hang on in there, things will get better. ((())) DD

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 17:17 

[quote="kathbee"]Wondered how you were doing Marianne, sorry you havent been feeling so well.

Helen, When I saw the consultant last week, he told me he would see me in 12 months time for xray. Then hopefully that will be it............ except that I might be told my other knee is due for replacement,
I will have to think seriously about it.

Kath x[/quoteHi Kath Yes missed you for a while we saw our consultants on the same day I go back in 6 mths he seemed pleased said my bend could be better ,I didnt mention the R/A it wasnt so bad then keep up the good work but it tricky with the R/A..Marrianne :)

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 17:35 

HiYOU Kath,PegHelen,Stickyand DD,thanks for replys it really does help me ,Kath saw consultant on the same day he seemed pleased said to keep working on the bend and he will see me in 6 mths didnnt mention the R/A as it wasnt so bad on the day Peg glad all is well with you just might take a little longer but you will get your good results in the end I am sure,Sticky my r/ appointment is next year ,not so good is it definately feel a flare as both knees burn ,I shall get back to G/P, GET MY B/P Taken get my meds up to date and hope he can get the hospital to see me ,Oh DD yes you understand the bed thing,yes the heavy sighs :lol: :lol: he has also got that restless leg syndrome a tendancy to kick out every couple of minutes so I keep moveing my knee out of harms way ,HELEN oh didnt realise you were so close we often go to s Ashbourne market and Bakewell,living close to caverswall at the moment but a move is iminant oh it would have been grat to meet up for coffee or a chinwag or both maybe a cream cake or two,we often go to Dovelys garden centre I think its the one with the resturant like a airplane hanger loads of stairs ,I glad you are doing so well keep up the hydro its brilliant one of my favourite things ,hope Steve and Julia are ok to thanks again everyone think next year we should have a dance troup Marrianne :)

Board index » Public forums » Living with arthritis forum