Skip the main banner if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Page Banner

Call our FREE confidential helpline 0808 8004050

Skip the primary navigation if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Primary Navigation

The following page sections include static unchanging site components such as the page banner, useful links and copyright information. Return to the top of page if you want to start again.

Page Extras

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public forums » Living with arthritis forum

Post subject: Re: TKR day 8 post op
 Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 16:19 

Hi,

I met the Devil himself today - he was wearing the uniform of a Physiotherapist.

Those people really know how to inflict pain and suffering - with a smile.

I was made to bend and straighten my leg further than I ever wanted to, but I have to say I understand the reasons why and will try to do what they say in an effort to get my knee working properly.

My leg has a 60 degree bend, but he wanted 90 degrees. (Never satisfied are they?)

I'm booked in to the "early total new knee club" next Thursday, I wonder what will be inflicted upon me then :x

Take care y'all :)

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 16:50 

Wow, that's a pretty good bend Steve, it took me yonks to achieve that after the first synovectomy so good on you! Physios are essential people and they generally do far more good than harm but I remember cursing mine in the very early days! Keep at it mate, the success of the TKR depends on doing the exercises as well as resting and eating a good diet. Please keep in touch. DD

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 18:01 

Hi Steve
Sorry Im late seeing this
You seem to be doing really well, and I am sure it is helping others that are going to have a TKR, I am sure they dont want all the good news.
Its good to be prepared and if you sale through it all well and good.
Poor you with the physio, but like you say they always want more.
Wishing you well with it all,

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 18:18 

I sat in the waiting room this morning and chatted to a very nice lady who is three weeks post op TKR and we obviously compared our notes.

She has the same problems as me but is unable to bend her knee as far as mine. I suspect the more you put in the more you will get out.

I'm determined to get my leg straight and bent as it should be but the pain is the barrier at present.

I'm very happy to see the nice comments from you all and, yes it is good to get the bad feedback as well as the good. Say it as it is.

My leg is much better today than yesterday, I can sit at the PC with legs out in front of me for the first time.

Now I just wonder is that a direct affect of this morning's torture (sorry I meant Physio) :D

One difference between us was she had staples whereas I had a dissolving thread. She said her staples were counted as they were removed and there were 36 :o

I showed her a photo of my wound and she was amazed how good it looked :)

It is improving and I am aware its not two weeks yet so I should be happy :)

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 18:53 

Glad the op is over for you Steve,the physio is a trial but necessary.Ihad to sleep on settee for first four weeks as i could not get comfy in bed.Second TkR over nine weeks ago decided i was going to my bed at night and managed to sleep on my back.Surprised you were not given stronger pain relieve for first couple days but maybe you have other health problems.i had about twenty eight staples in both ops,they were removed fourteen days later.physio where i live look for 90 degree bend and 0 straight leg,then they will discharge you.Every leg is different and recovery varies due to how bad knee was before op,skill of surgeon,how quickly scar tissue forms and of course the dreaded exercise regime.Remember to use icepacks it does help.Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 10:17 

Morning all,

Just a quickie to say I had a decent night's sleep last night, well a couple of two hour burst and guess what? I even managed to sleep on my side :D

Don't wish to get too confident but I think the worst may be over, I can raise the leg a little now but the knee cap is still very painful when I do.

There is hope for us all so do not despair it does get better with a little patience, time and effort. :D

Isn't the weather awful. :x

Take care you all.

Cheery Steve :lol:

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 10:26 

Well Done Steve

I 'm pleased all is going well for you ,Wheel chair tennis :lol: thats great .
Hopefully you will have a quick recovery .

karen xx

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 21:18 

Hi I am 10 weeks yesterday, please please do the bnd exercise I may need a manipulation physio said because i didn't push myself and ony did the excersises I found easy :| I thought I was doing it right

Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 20:46 

Sorry to hear that lovechocolate but thank you for your guidance.

I tend not to exercise due to the pain I get afterwards. I did too much yesterday, exercises and walking and had a terrible night.

I hear what you say and will get cracking on that knee bend.

Thanks

Steve

Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 21:04 

Hi Steve

I too can add that please work at that knee bend. :) Perhaps a little less walking at the moment but more knee bending ;) It does hurt but is worth it in the end. Afterwards RICE, (rest, ice, compression and elevate). I was given a plastic disc thingy to place under the foot and this makes sliding the foot, hence the knee backwards and forwards easier.

Elna x

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.

Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 21:05 

ey up cheery steve lol.

Glad things are slowly easing for you.
Keep the exercises up matey.
:D

Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 20:42 

Hi all, still not sleeping properly but feeling much better about myself. 14 days post op now and I think I have a 70 degree bend? DIY measure using the kids school protractor but it looks right.

The pains are less and don't always notice when the painkillers have worn off. Six hours between and not in a hurry for more.

Went to watch my daughter in the school play, they gave me two chairs, one for me the other for the foot. It wasn't comfortable but it was an outing and a walk so must do me some good.

Take care you all and thanks for all the nice remarks.

Steve

Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 23:23 

70 degree bend is very good Steve and heading in the right direction.

Hope your sleeping improves, I slept on my side straight after the op as I can't sleep on my back. My leg felt like a ton weight at first but it did get better with each day.

Glad you're keeping us posted and stick with it you'll get there in the end. :D

Luv,

Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 12:56 

Hi gang :)

Now 16 days post op.

Physio this morning, I was dreading it and ready for a fight if it hurt. The Physio is a very nice young lady who was only interested in helping our recovery, (six of us in the new knee group). She set us up with a circuit of exercises to do at our own pace and we could stay as long as we wanted or go when we had enough.

She measured my bend at 70 degrees then after some pushing a shoving measured again and got 80 degrees. :D

I was enjoying it so much that I was disappointed when she told me I had to leave. :cry:

What a difference in two different Physios. Looking forward to next Thursday now :) It is so much better when there is a group - a little banter always helps :)

Sleeping a bit better. Managing to get on my side more now and have been able to lift my leg since Monday.

Improving a little every day. :) (Still painful however).

Keep on trucking all :lol:

Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 13:50 

That sounds like good news Steve.

Keep posting cos I am due to have both knees done and scared about the whole thing. Your news is making me feel better.

Fols x

Board index » Public forums » Living with arthritis forum