Skip the main banner if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Page Banner

Forum

Skip the primary navigation if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Primary Navigation

Page Extras

Register    Login     Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public forums » Chit-chat forum

Post subject: Anyone for Gardening?
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 11:51 

Hi - I joined last week and it's been lovely to find some fellow gardeners to chat to - an unexpected bonus on an arthritis forum!

So, thought I'd start a gardening thread to see if anyone is interested in sharing their gardening news, tips and tricks. (Perhaps a virtual allotment where we can meet in the greenhouse for a garden gossip and sit outside on sunny days admiring our flowers and veg? How about somewhere near the cafe so we can pop in for tea and cakes when we need a break from our labours?)

Gardening is my "best thing" and although I am by no means an experiencied gardener, I really enjoy planting, pottering and planning in our smallish back garden. Over past few years I have been experimenting with veg in containers cos our soil's not good and have had varying degrees of success. So any hints would be very welcome!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Tilly :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 12:03 

strange you should say just out side the conservitory is a walled garden bit over grown but has got a shed and green house and cafe will fetch drinks to the patio for you just shout lol. well i will sit in chair watching all the macho men do the hard work then will help out sowing seeds lol any one for tea or lemonade

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 12:05 

Hi Tilly,
I am a keen gardener too. raised beds. containers. Lots of veg and fruit, flowers and shrubs. I am bringing with me Caitlin, 7 year old assistant head gardener, and Kian 3 year apprentice hole digger, my grandkids.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 12:10 

Hi Tilly,

Glad you did this :D I used to grow a good acre and a half, maybe 2 and it was hard work but very rewarding..... Took me a bit of time to work out what grows well here (is a bit bleak :wink: and gets a lot of rain) I did the root veg and loved turnip (some people call them swede :wink: ) and beetroot, cabbage did well so did collie and broccoli. Peas and beans... it depended on the rain... Spuds i used get a lot of blight so some were good and some weren't.......Did carrots, tried strawberries but hey didn't really do well as it is very open and well......

Constant problem with rabbits and 7" slugs.... have a lot of hedgerows.....So put salt all round the plots, it got bizarre actually.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

Did salad stuff in season and 'ell I kinda miss it but am less withdraw :lol: :lol: :lol: Just spent hours out in the fields.....

Good luck and tomatoes are good as well :wink: ((( ))) Cris x

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 12:11 

can we have cherry tomatoes love the smell and runner beans

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 13:06 

Hi all

Valval I'm thrilled - walled garden sounds perfect thankyou! And so close to the cafe too - couldn't be better! Cherry tomatoes and runner beans are a given - wouldn't be a proper veg garden without them!
Since it's a virtual garden, clearing the plot ready to plant shouldn't be difficult and I'm sure that the soil will be perfect! And with expert advice from Cris and Rehab, help from Rehab's Grandkids and refreshments from the cafe we should be up and running in no time!
I'm just off out into my garden while the sun is still shining but look forward to talking to you again soon. Tilly :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 13:19 

Hi Tilly

I shall bring you some of my compost and a composter so we can improve your soil over time :D

Just got to get out in my own garden urgently - I can see some dandelions.....

Love

Toni xx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 15:16 

Location: Oxfordshire just far enough away from Didcot to be safe.
I am growing a load of veg and a a few really strong Chilli's called Dorset Naga this year, also growing a few spuds in big pots.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 15:28 

Hi Tilli
What a good thread this is...I love gardening, but cant get down now to plant things, so I will be coming on here to pick up some tips.
Also I would love to grow veg...I have just put strawberries and potatoes in for the first time...and am really looking forward to picking them.
Oh and cream teas at the cafe yum
Barbara x

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 16:41 

hi tilly and welcome to AC, what a lovely name too :)

hubby has started his chillys off, i can see green shoot already, i like a nice garden but dont enjoy doing it much so i will sit in a deck chair and watch if thats ok :wink: ................now can i find some hunky guys to help turn the plot over for you :wink: 8) :lol:

will these do ! 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 16:46 

well what a lovely change to be able to sit out in the sun :D

I've brought some sweet peas that I potted on yesterday - and I'll have a few spare tomato plants (they are smaller tomatoes but not quite cherry ones I thnk) because I appear to have been heavy handed and all the pots that should have had 1 or 2 seed in have 5 or 6 :lol: :roll: :roll:

now then, all this talk of gardening has made me thirst so I'll just join the gang round this table and have a cuppa :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 16:51 

how about home made lemonade! love it and so summery :wink:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 18:37 

Quote:
that sounds great because we have lemon tree that is fruiting lol just when we need it who squeezing them

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 18:41 

Quote:
Quote:
that sounds great because we have lemon tree that is fruiting lol just when we need it who squeezing them
you can squeeze the lemons val...leave the men to me.... :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 18:41 

Quote:
hi tilly and welcome to AC, what a lovely name too :)

hubby has started his chillys off, i can see green shoot already, i like a nice garden but dont enjoy doing it much so i will sit in a deck chair and watch if thats ok :wink: ................now can i find some hunky guys to help turn the plot over for you :wink: 8) :lol:

will these do ! 8)

Will you send them round to my place as well, please :?: I've taken a sudden interest in gardening :!: :D

Board index » Public forums » Chit-chat forum