Skip the main banner if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Page Banner

Forum

Skip the primary navigation if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Primary Navigation

Page Extras

Register    Login     Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public forums » Chit-chat forum

Post subject: How to Post Pictures - a Basic Guide
 Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 23:18 

This is a little 'basic guide to posting pictures on the forum/s' - either pictures you would like to add to your post from the internet, or photos that you have taken yourself. :)

To start I will just run through how to post pictures that are already on the web; and will follow up with instructions for your own photos, as it involves more/slightly different steps.

(I will be including plenty of detail, because 'how to' threads which assume you already know certain things can be annoying!)

Post subject: Re: How to Post Pictures - a Basic Guide
 Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 23:19 

Adding pictures (that are already on the internet) to your posts.

You can add pictures using the 'Img' option (which is directly above the box where you type your post, with the 'buttons' for things like bold & italic &c). See picture below - Img button, and how the tags look, highlighted in green:

Just find the picture you want, e.g. from an image search (such as google, yahoo or bing). Then (for example with google), leftclick on your chosen picture, then go to the 'view image' link and not the 'view page' one, so that just the image itself is on your screen.

Copy the web address for the image from the address bar (leftclick to highlight, rightclick & copy) & when you are writing your post, click on the Img tab, and a pair of Img 'tags' will appear - then just rightclick & paste your image address between them. As I have already posted 'grumpy cat' as an example elsewhere, I will use him again here :)

(If you click the 'quote' button under this post you will see how the image address & Img tags look in the text box.)

I will check on the maximum size image you can post & add it to the thread.

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 09:53 

Toady ,You are a gem ,not many people would take the trouble its brilliant when I have some moments today ,I am definately going to give it a go might put me own little mug on .....hope its allowed .. :) sure the mods will :) let us know or maybe just a cat to start off .. not been into the cafe as yet a very late start here due to faulty gas boiler nothing serious no leaks its just blown out for the 3rd time so no hot water ,hope your well today catch up later Marrianne((())

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 10:21 

Toady thanks so much for this...didn't even know about the buttons at the top.....I will go and try it out..

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 10:26 

Hi Barbara ,shouldnt really block this thread with my ramblings but wanted to say goodmorning ..cafe later all being well (((())))Marrianne

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 15:11 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7655_n.png

Must have done something right :D .............thanks Toady that has been a great help as I am not very computer literate.............Marie x

just because you smiled I wish your
day is full of Smiles

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 16:00 

Actually direct linking can be a very good idea for larger images :D & saves resizing etc.

That is an excellent picture :lol:

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 20:03 

'Hosting' your own pictures & photos on the internet.

In order to be able to post your own photos on forums & elsewhere on the internet, you must first upload them onto the web so that they can get their own 'web address'. Everything on the net has to have an address, whether it is a website, a webpage, or a single image. Unless you have your own website (!) you won't have webspace of your own to use, so that is where photo hosting sites come in handy - they allow you make an online virtual photo album, so they are acting as a 'host' to your pictures hence the name.

There are a variety of sites out there, ranging from the basic with few frills such as Imgur.com, ones with lots more extras like Photobucket.com, and others including Picasa, Flickr, etc. A search for 'photo hosting sites' will bring up lists of possibles. Most sites are free (with a possible 'cap' on storage space in some cases) - some are not.

Because photos for the forum need to be reasonably small, you will probably need to resize your photographs before you can post them, either using a photo editing program you have on your computer or by editing them once they are in your 'web album'. One problem with that is you will be uploading large images which will take longer.

Further info on uploading your photos to webhosting sites - & what to do next - to follow. :)

Last edited by toady on 06 Feb 2014 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 20:03 

About BB code.

Once your photo is up on the internet, you will need the correct 'link' to post it on here, in the case of forums it will be a link that is in 'BB code'.

You might have seen BB code [BB stands for bulletin board] mentioned before, and there is a guide to it on this forum too: faq.php?mode=bbcode. In simple terms it is just a type of formatting that 'tells' your information, picture or text how to behave - ie to be in bold, to be in italics, to show up as an image instead of text, & so on. The code takes the form of a pair of square-bracketed instructions at the beginning and end of the relevant piece of text or picture, for example to start and stop a sentence in bold.

Note: In most cases, photo hosting websites will give you the full code you need for posting on forums, including the BB 'tags', so you will not need the Img option when posting your own hosted photos.

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 20:06 

Image hope it works
Thanks Toady.. :D :D

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 20:24 

Barbara, that's just lovely Image - you couldn't have picked anything nicer. Thanks for having a go.

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 10:35 

I'm stupid I'm sorry I still don't understand it. Can you do a step by step explanation for me please. :oops:

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 11:38 

It's ok it's not you, the thread is incomplete - there is more info I need to add which will hopefully make things clearer.

Some of the info I have posted already is out of interest for anyone that wants to understand how BBcoding etc works, but you don't necessarily need all of that - it's just for reference - all you need to post your own photos on here is 3 basic steps:

1. resize your pic (if necessary)
2. upload it to an online album
3. find & copy the right link for forums, for each pic

and I will be running through steps 2&3 in more detail today. :)

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 13:46 

Adding your own photos to your posts.

To quickly recap - the steps for getting your photos onto the forum are,

resize; upload to online album; then get the right link.

Assuming your photo is the size you want it to be, you're ready to upload it to your chosen website. Signing up to a photo hosting site is usually fairly quick although some want more information than others, and some only want a username, email & password.
Note it's worth considering making your album private if you don't want people & the public to be able view your other pictures, as well as what you post here.

Next step is to upload your photo to the site - the process is slightly different from site to site but it will be a variation on:

click an upload 'button', select your photo from your computer, wait for it to upload, and get the right code for that picture. I have run through a few examples in a separate post at the end.

The boxes with the different link options will look something like these: you will be selecting the one that says bb code, forum code, or similar (by the usual method of leftclick to highlight, rightclick & copy).

When you have copied your link, it can be pasted directly into the text box where you compose your forum post. Click preview to check it appears ok. :)

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 14:07 

Step by step examples of uploading your photos and getting the forum code - I have picked 2 sites for now & may add more, they will all be similar processes.

* uploading to & getting code from Photobucket.com:

log in; upload: (large orange link at top of screen) - click on the blue 'choose photos & videos' to select photos from your pc, or drag & drop - wait for upload. Return to 'library' (link at top left of bar). Your picture will be there with a box of different links - leftclick and copy the text in the 'Img' link box.

* uploading to & getting code from Imgur.com:

log in; upload: (top left of screen - small white symbol like a cloud with an arrow pointing up ). a mini screen will appear, select 'browse your computer' at top left of box, and select photos from your pc; click the green 'start upload' link at bottom right. wait for image to fully upload. select & copy the BBcode link from the right hand side of screen.

note: websites are liable to change their layout so these guides are correct for now but may need revising.

Board index » Public forums » Chit-chat forum