Skip the main banner if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Page Banner

Forum

Skip the primary navigation if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Primary Navigation

Page Extras

Register    Login     Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public forums » Chit-chat forum

Post subject: Winter. Bouffe.
 Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 19:00 

Well, it is still the nasty season. Even here. Rather difficult to find some interesting stuff to eat. I like cooking. I hate cooking for myself. Since I stopped my volunteer work I hardly cook anymore. But I'd like to read about your winter recipes. I know it is not easy to handle the season. But I am curious to read about your secrets!

Post subject: Re: Winter. Bouffe.
 Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 22:01 

Haven't you heard, we don't do seasonality in this country anymore?!

Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 22:34 

Even not if it comes to cooking? Tomatoes? Eggplants? Zucchini? Typical winter veggies?
Ok. I just tried. And now I am very sad.... bon...

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 02:57 

Go on then, I'll go for it! I've just modified my fish stew:-

packet of white fish, half a sweet potatoe, wine, large onion, cumin seeds, coriander leaves, garlic, half a large pepper, 1/4 packet of chopped toms and white wine. A lemon and chopped parsley.

Ground up a handful of cumin and coriander put in pan, chop up the onion and garlic to suit add olive oil and brown them, add fish stock, wine and rest of ingredients. Season to taste. Walk away and leave to simmer for an hour. Serve with rice or pasta or crushed pots, add chopped parsley and a twist of lemon to taste.

Serve with homemade garlic bread, its a winter warmer.

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 12:13 

No secrets. I'm a very plain cook having been blessed with a husband and two sons who would eat anything as long as there was plenty of it.

Winter warmers are casseroles - beef, chicken, sausage, bean (not all at once :wink: ); pies - fish, leek carrot and potato, cheese and onion and a strange invention that works for me - a sort of oven-baked ratatouille with lasagne and grated cheese.

But I still have to have at least one salad per week or I get withdrawal symptoms.

And my daughter-in-law does some lovely soups with cheese scones.

Oh, and being in Scotland, porridge for breakfast when it's really cold.

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 13:07 

COOKING? Oh you mean that thing my husband (and carer) does 3 times a day. :shock:

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 15:36 

Kathleen T! I have absolutely no idea what your husband does 3 times a day! How should I?
StickyWicket and others: I don't eat animals. My downtown appartement is much too small for cattle keeping. Even a modest pig would cause problems. Plus I am much too lazy to clean up the blood stains after cutting their throats! I have to do without things with eyes.
Winter. Choucroute season! I prépare nearly everything possible with choucroute. Lasagne, quiche, bolognaise, some kind of Moussaka and even sandwiches.
Not 3 times a day though, Kathleen T!

Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 12:29 

Quote:
I have to do without things with eyes.
No potatoes then Quintus.....?
I like cabbage and its cousins, unfortunately they don't like me, so I have to be rather selective about what, when and how much. I have a bargain(reduced to 9p) sweet pointed cabbage in the fridge at the moment and will be looking out my Madhur Jaffrey recipes as spices help with digestion. With luck it will stay in usable condition for long enough to enjoy more than one meal.

Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 12:39 

Peel and chop some sweet potatoes. Peel and chop a parsnip or two. Add vegetable stock, a tablespoon of curry powder of your preferred strength (or make your own) and a tin of cannellini beans. Simmer until the veg has softened enough to blend or mash. Consume with fresh, crusty bread.

Here we have signs of spring, flowers are appearing despite the frost and cold winds, the days are lengthening but winter still has some time to go . . . . . bouffe indeed. DD

Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 12:48 

Not being a francofile, I haven't got a clue what it all means! People seem to get very uptight about eating meat at present? The world may change it habits, over time but it won't happen now or even soon.

Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 20:52 

Mr or Mrs airwave: What did you intend to say? I think you do not necessarily need to be "francofile" to talk about stuff you like to eat during the poor season, do you? I really try to nourish my illness stricken system as best as I can. And I am convinced that we are what we eat. And I take food seriously. I like to cook. And I am courious to learn what others do.
DD- your recipe simply made me greedy! I love sweet potatoes, en plus they are so simple to grow! I will try your recipe out tomorrow !!

Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 09:15 

Quintus-I didn't learn French so miss out on the nuances these non english words bring to a sentance. Littering text with french means some of your intended meaning escapes on an english speaking forum.

The bull has an undercarriage, definately not female!

Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 10:23 

Quote:
Quintus-I didn't learn French so miss out on the nuances these non english words bring to a sentance. Littering text with french means some of your intended meaning escapes on an english speaking forum.

The bull has an undercarriage, definately not female!
The 'English' language is littered with foreign words -indeed it would look a bit meagre without. Lasagne, quiche, bolognaise, moussaka - I think these are pretty well known terms? For the rest (choucroute - cabbage, en plus - more) there's internet translation. Isn't it an opportunity to learn something new - in the same way that Quintus may come across words/phrases we commonly use which are new to him?

Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 12:57 
Site Admin

Yahoo Messenger: arthritiscare
AOL: arthritiscare
Twitter: arthritiscare
Facebook: arthritiscare
Google+: +arthritiscare
YouTube: arthritiscare
Hi all
there is a lovely section in our Inspire magazine on winter recipes that you might enjoy reading
http://portfolio.cpl.co.uk/inspire/2017 ... pes-intro/
Best Wishes
Sharon

Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 19:51 

Sharon: I just had a look at your link! My o my: fantastic stuff on it! Thank you!

Board index » Public forums » Chit-chat forum