Skip the main banner if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Page Banner

Forum

Skip the primary navigation if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Primary Navigation

Page Extras

Register    Login     Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public forums » Living with arthritis forum

Post subject: Arthritis and electric toothbrushes
 Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 15:23 

I first used one about twenty years ago and couldn't believe how much better I could clean my teeth as it compensated a great deal for the deficiencies of my arthritic hands. Today, at a routine dental appointment, I reaped the rewards. The dentist told me:

1. My teeth looked wobbly but were actually very solidly attached.
2. My fillings were all secure.
3. I had virtually no tartar build up.
4. They weren't very discoloured. ( :o With all the tea I swill?)
5. My gums were pink and healthy with no bleeding at all.
6. She wished I could give lessons in tooth brushing to most of her patients.

I was, you might say, gobsmacked. And a little smug though, lest I appear a paragon of dental hygiene, I must add that I also have a partial plate replacing the ones that didn't make it.

I write this partly out of sheer delight that there is yet a bit of me that is in good nick. And partly to advise others that I attribute this mostly to the electric toothbrush. I'd advise everyone to get one (one with a small head that will really get into the cracks) but particularly everyone with arthritis in their hands. They really do make a difference.

Post subject: Re: Arthritis and electric toothbrushes
 Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 17:22 

:P :P :P :P Hooray....the joy of finding a bit of us that is doing well! I absolutely agree about the electric toothbrush , I too discovered the ease and efficiency of using one about 10 years ago and very rarely need a scale and polish when I go to the dentist because it does such a good job. I was on holiday recently and realised I'd left it at home, I was so stressed by the end of the week trying to clean my teeth properly with arthritic fingers with a dodgy grip using a standard toothbrush. Embrace the technology is my arthritic motto.

Deb x

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 18:40 

I can't be without mine, I use a sensitive brush head and the sensitive setting. As you may have read on here I am having to deal with the fall-out of my poor dental hygiene in the past but I am sure that the brush, the interdental brushes and mouthwash can only slow my dental deterioration. Yup, I typed dental, not mental - that one is open to debate. :wink: DD

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 11:10 

I tried the Lidl ones and got six months use before it went kaput, Oral B now and four months use, will it last?

I wonder if I should invent an electric back scrubber, I could be a millionaire this time next year.............?

There was a funny video going the rounds recently, a Polish hotel maid scrubbing the toilets, then she stood up and put the toothbrush in the holder, smiled and walked away.

😂😂😂😊

Board index » Public forums » Living with arthritis forum