Skip the main banner if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Page Banner

Forum

Skip the primary navigation if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Primary Navigation

Page Extras

Register    Login     Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public forums » Benefits and Working Matters forum

Post subject: PIP assessor lied and I was denied PIP
 Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 16:59 

Hi, this is my first time here. I was finally diagnosed with arthritis in my hips after years of pain, and the doctor suspects I have it in my knees also. I have good days and bad days, but struggle to walk for very long and use a walking stick (or a wheelchair if I'm out shopping).

I applied for PIP without any great hopes of getting it, but was shocked when I received my rejection. The assessor told blatant lies on his assessment form. He stated that he'd carried out a physical musculoskeletal examination, when he did nothing of the kind. He also stated that I could get both arms behind my head and knees with no difficulty, which was impossible at the time as I'd damaged the rotator cuff in my left shoulder and could barely move my left arm. He also stated that I could get up and down from a seating position with no difficulty, which was also a lie.

I've been examined by doctors for both of these conditions and they would be able to confirm that these test could not have possibly been carried out successfully.

I asked for a mandatory reconsideration which was also rejected, as apparently it wasn't a good reason simply because I 'disagreed with the assessor', and I hadn't provided any evidence.

I've lodged an appeal, but can't afford to pay my doctor or the hospital for evidence, and they don't do it for free, because I asked.

If I'd been denied for legal, legitimate reasons, then I would have accepted it, but the fact that he lied has really irked me!

Post subject: Re: PIP assessor lied and I was denied PIP
 Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 17:27 
Site Admin

Hi angeljs,

Hi, it's always helpful to get a diagnosis for pain and discomfort and it shows you a general route re prognosis and treatment which is reassuring.

Here is the leaflet from Arthritis Care regarding PIP

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living ... ayment-pip

For your appeal you will need to provide evidence for your difficulties, it's not based on a diagnosis, so they need to understand how your condition affects you and what limitations that leads to. Help from your medical team is helpful but bear in mind the above.

It's sad that lots of people end up in your situation, with no or not enough points, the evidence shows it is worth making an appeal and of course your award would be backdated. There is help online and CAB are really helpful and can accompany you to the hearing. Do get help, it makes a huge difference to the outcome.

Please continue to post and let us know how you get on.

Take care
Yvonne x

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 21:12 

Today I went for my Pip review assessment. The health professional I had just talked over every defence I tried to make. Like. It was my Gp who diagnosed my osteoarthritis. From a manual examination of my leg and hip. The health professional stated only a scan could diagnose. And she went on to try and force me to have some physical tests. Which I declined cause I stated I was in too much pain. I had difficulty walking into the assessment room. There was so much she left out to ask me. About how my conditions effect me. I tried to explain. That It worries me that I have to purchase extra food. Need to pay heating bills due to extra cost. She absolutely rubbished everything I said. And. That The Dwp did not care. It has made me feel ill. And. I just don't know what I am going to do if the review fails. She even rubbished a family member who came with me to support me. And would not let him explain how he helps me at home. To cook and shop for me. I am really concerned that my explanation on how my conditions effect me were not covered. And that I will be a the mercy of a report that does not address what is my fair right to ask for support.

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 16:46 

Sadly, this is happening all too often, for those who need help and support, not a grilling and jumping through hoops session, which leaves the person feeling totally devalued and almost like a criminal.

There are strict codes that both ATOS and CAPITA have to adhere to and they both have complaints procedures that you can follow.

https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/feedback/

This will take you to the ATOS page, regarding complaints etc.

This one is for CAPITA,

http://www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/complaints.html

It is up to the Dr / GP, if they charge for any additional information, they are not obliged to, if they are aware of someones personal circumstances, I would hope they take each case on its merit and support their patients accordingly.

There is so much going on with the PIP assessments, so many people are appalled about the way they have been treated and let down. It makes me so cross. Don't give up, do fight on.

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 14:55 

Thank you so much for those links Bubbles. I have a friend who ha just had her assessment and is waiting for the result. I hope she won't need to use the link, but if she does, I've shared them with her .

t4591 t4591 t4591 t4591 t4591

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 16:13 

Quote:
Thank you so much for those links Bubbles. I have a friend who ha just had her assessment and is waiting for the result. I hope she won't need to use the link, but if she does, I've shared them with her .

t4591 t4591 t4591 t4591 t4591
You are most welcome Kath X Life can be more than difficult enough, without having to battle through reams of forms, face to face interviews, assessors not listening to what is being said, or bothering to read what the GP's and Consultants have written.

If we wanted to jump through hoops, we would have joined a circus. XX Aidan

Board index » Public forums » Benefits and Working Matters forum